Thursday, December 23, 2010

you gotta know the rules to break em

For evidence of my total immersion into a new culture, (you may have noticed) my grammar has taken a turn for the worse. Not to worry: it is purely intentional.

As an English major I firmly believe that you gotta know the rules to break em. Anyway I am far more interested in dialect than “proper diction.” The regional dialect of Vermont first took my interest upon meeting Shook back in Baxter, and has kept me laughing ever since.

Earlier this week I drove upta Williston (Shook’s hometown) to do some shopping. Williston Liquidation Center is comparable to Maine’s store Marden’s (not quite as good though). Basically they sell a bit of everything at up to 70% off retail – I ended up buying lycopene, a sweater, and some Ritz crackers.

I had myself a good chuckle when I came across the following items and I hope you will too!








No comments:

Post a Comment